miércoles, 11 de noviembre de 2009

hello again :)
Our program went to Granada last weekend, and for some reason I had my grumpy pants on. I guess I just needed a bit more time to myself than traveling by bus and sharing a hotel with 34 other people allows. Eventually I got over myself by having the following dialogue.
GrumpyPants: grumblegrumble loud noises
Sara: um, hello, you're in spain and your life is awesome
GP: but...i'm sleepy and people are using bad grammar/laughing obnoxiously/playing music so loudly i can hear it even though they have headphones in.
Sara: Where are you?
GP: In spain.
Sara: and?
GP: and my life is pretty much the most awesome thing in the history of the world.
Sara: exactly.

this conversation works for lots of other assorted bouts of annoyance too. Like when the internet connection is weak, or i can't find boots that i like, or i'm having trouble understanding my homework. doesn't matter. my life is so awesome that these small things do not diminish the awesome in the slightest. its like pennies of annoyance compared to 100000bazillion dollars. I'm like 5 dollars worth annoyed because my trip to Morocco for this weekend fell through, but i'm hoping I can go after thanksgiving so it's probably okay.

anyways, granada. beautiful, a bit chilly. Lots of muslim architecture, which is always super ornate and decorative with lots of text and flowers (because muslims can't draw people or animals because it's considered to be likening yourself to Allah, with the power of creation and all) Oh, and Isabel and Ferdinand are buried there and the famous work Deposition by Roger Van der Weyden is there because Isabel collected Flemish art, among her other hobbies (expelling the jews/muslims from spain, financing columbus's journey, insisting that her chapel be built gothic style even though the renaissance was happening, attending mass every day

Eminent in my life is the arrival of my boyfriend and my best friend in Spain, a super sweet thanksgiving in Madrid, and various and sundry adventurous in Cordoba. I also have to write a 10 page paper in Spanish in a week and 3 days, but I'm in Spain and my life is awesome so no te preocupes por mi.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario